plenum volume

Not sure if this is the right form, but it has to do with my crossfire injected project. It seems that a better(more even) distribution and better flow would result from moving the top plate/swirl plates away from the manifold floor. This would also change the plenum volume. What part does plenum volume play in the over all scheme of intake design? How will increasing it effect performance, and is there a formula for figuring the correct volume for a certain engine combination? I would like to base the changes on something other than physical restraints(hood clearance etc.), without having to try a bunch of different combos with all the tuning and testing etc involved.

Kevin R