Re: 730 DIS

The ecm calculates dwell/timing, and at the point open signal the coil
fires.
The open part of the signal causes coil fire, and the close signal is the
beginning of the dwell.
  The module will independently fire the coil at whatever the intial timing
is set at.
The ecm at over 400 rpm (generally) supplies a signal to flip a switch in
the module so that the dwell, and timing are then calculated by the ecm.
  I really don't know where to refer you to other then maybe the achives
under HEI, or maybe the DIY_EFI archives for EST, HEI, etc.  Maybe just a
library shop manual if you need more then that.
  I don't try to memorize it all, just the general strategies, cause they
vary.
I've posted the publisher for the gm training manuals, maybe a couple of
their books would be helpful?.
HTH
Grumpy