VSS output

What type of signal is the VSS output from the ECM?

I'm trying to rig a circuit so I can fool around with calibrating my
analog dash cluster.
Right now I have a 555 timer circuit at 50% duty cycle, 0-5V swing.
Seems to be working, I have the circuit hooked up to a spare HUD unit
and it's showing 58MPH.  My multimeter shows my circuit has an output
frequency of 64.51Hz.  At 4000 pulses per mile, that works out to
58.06mph.
I haven't tried it on my analog cluster yet, but I just want to make
sure in case an analog cluster is more sensitive to an incorrect input.
Thanks.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/