Re: 96 LT1

gene l. clifford wrote:

> Hi Shannen
> Gene clifford here.
Hello, Gene.

> I have been lurking on the list for a week or two now and must confess I am
> at sea!
> I recently bought an LT-1 engine and trans out of a burned vette (48k)
> since it got kinda hot there are no electronics or FI goodies?
> I have plans to put this in a 1978 Nova 2dr.
> since I am retired the budget is limited
> I have access to a full mach.shop (CNC even)
> what I would like to do is this.
> # 1 modify for individual injectors a Edelbrock Victor int. manifold

There are factory manifolds available used, for reasonable money.
Machining is fun, but you could use the time to open up the heads and
factory intake rather than re-invent the wheel.

> #2 either use a holley four barrel carb body for a throttle body or make my
> own
> if I use the Holley should I use a vac 2nd or mech linkage

I would use the factory style intake.  It's available, and using carb
or tbi is a step backwards.  I've used the LT4 hot cam under a carb
for a year, and it's sorely lacking.  You just can't make a
distributor and vacuum secondaries do what an ecm can on the street.

> I presume I will need a map sensor and a TPS would also like to utilize  O2
> sensor

Yes, and electric fuel pump, wiring harness, coolant temp sensor,
intake temp sensor, MAF sensor if using 94 and newer pcm, vehicle
speed sensor, park/neutral input (if auto trans), and a more that I am
not listing.

> could you tell me if there would be an off the shelf Ecu that I might avail
> my self of

Off GM parts dept shelf you can use the ecm from 92-93 LT1.  94 PCM
will work, but it takes more programming tools than the 92 style unit.

> keeping in mind that I am a neophyte and under financed??
Is anybody really fully financed for a car project?
Shannen