Re: dead simple recap

Dave Williams wrote:

>  I snagged a Haynes book with some wiring diagrams.  I have two 730 V6
> PFI harnesses, one from a Chevy Celebrity, one from a Pontiac 6000.
> They're arranged slightly differently but seem to have all the same
> connectors.
>
>  Let me recap what I think I know:
>
> 1) the wiring to a DIS module or a distributor HEI module is the same

4 cyl and 2.8/3.1 v6 have the same connections, but DIS harness may
have 1 or 2 extra wires.  The 4 common wires are reference, bypass,
est, and shared ground with the ecm.  The extras may be connected to
tach lead, and 6x reference pin.

> 2) if I use a 730 V8 chip, I can leave the cam and crank sensor
>    connectors unused

2.8/3.1 does not have a cam sensor.  Crank sensor is connected
directly to the module.

> 3) the Haynes manual shows all the wiring harnesses as having the same
>    color codes despite the variations in year, engine, and injection
>    type.  Correct?
Haynes manuals are very difficult to use.  I have one that has the 2.0
pfi turbo Pontiac engine labeled as 2.0 tbi non turbo.  Maybe an
Alldata/ Popular Mechanics cd would work better.
Shannen