Re: VSS on 730

Dave Williams wrote:

> -> And if magnetic, then 4000 or 28000 ppm.  Perhaps other values too.
>
>  28,000?  I knew of 1,000, 2,000, and 4,000.  What uses 28,000?

It seems that many FWD's from the early '90's use the 28k.  Specific
cases where I've confirmed this are the 3.4 DOHC (both auto and stick)
and some 2.5 L4's.  My theory is that the reluctor type VSS generates
the 28k.  Unfortunately, the donor cars have been long gone by the time
I've noticed certain chips set for the 28k.

BTW, can someone send me a CSH?  After lots of code disassembly, several
pages filled with algebra, hours spent tracing circuits, and use of an
oscilloscope, I deduced that the DC motor type VSS must spin at 1000
(+/-) rpm.  Duh.  Older models had a solid speedometer cable that
connected there - and spun at 1000 rpm.