Re: Memcals

Imagine gluing 7 ot 8 clothespins (the kind with the spring in the middle)
together so its nice and wide and that if you squeezed the end to open it
then you could clamp it onto a prom, long ways so that one side of the mouth
contacts 1 row of pins on the PROM, and the other side of the clothespin
contacts the other side of the PROM pins. then there is 1 piece of metal
touching each insividual pin, and a corresponding solder point exists for
each chip leg on top of the clamp.  you then solder one wire to each pin on
the clamp and run each to a solderless 28pin adapter like you see on boards
with removable chips. then you plug the bottom pins of the solderless
connector into your reader and voila!

basically if the top of the pins on the prom are accessable you can clamp
onto it.

You can remove the label and UV erase it if you have an eraser that can hold
the whole board with the EPROM soldered onto it, or one  that can be placed
over the window.

to reprogram it,  send the new program to it using the same rig.

Heres a PIC of it.  Cat-5 is all I had at the time no flaming... ;-}
http://www.delanet.com/~tgp/misc/vampire.jpg

Now this thing is only really used when some silly designer engineers that
an EPROM be SOLDERED onto a board and be non removable... but who would do
that??  ;-)