Re: Got Diacom to work on Snakeskinner

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Yes, the aldl connector is not wired to power a scan tool.  You need
> an external power cable.  Also, GM was not planning on supporting many
> earlier model cars with the Tech 2, so it may not have full support
> for the Vette.  (If it does, please pass that along).

I will as soon as I can go back to his place and play some more.  With the
way things are going though, it'll probably be next week.

>  Also, the
> serial data in MY 89 is routed to pin E of the ALDL.  I *think* this
> is the same for F cars, and that there are several years like this.

Yeah, my 89 is wired the same way.

> When using a Tech 1 or CAMS, these cars require a special adapter to
> the ALDL.

I hope that since the zr1 uses the "standard" M pin, I won't have to rewire
anything.

> At home, some short wires and appropriate terminals will do
> the adapter's job.

Yeah, we were struggling with that last time.  The tech 2 has a very nice 12
pin connector adaptor, but we had a hard time finding pins to fit in the back
of it (round DIN pins, I think), so we could hook up the max232.  I'm about
ready to buy like a diacom cable and butcher it up (have to be able to switch
reading from E or M).  Dang, this is what happens when you give up being a EE
for a cushy CS degree... no technical skills.

Daniel