Crossfire SES driver & 7747

I found the external SES driver under the dash of my 82 Camaro, and have a
couple of questions.
Is this one not needed because the 7747 I'm converting to already has one
built in?
What exactly is a driver and what does it do?
Does the light already have power to it and the ECM just grounds that
terminal to complete the circuit as needed for the SES light function?
If so, can I just snip and connect the wire going into the driver from the
7747 to the wire coming out that goes to the light?
Bruce, You said you had one of these. What year is your Vette? I found notes
about an external SES driver in my 82 Camaro service manual, but couldn't
find anything in the one for the 84 Corvette. I'm assuming again, but since
the 84 ECM plugged right in and worked fine with the 82 wiring, that the 84
must have an external driver also.

Kevin R

The more I learn, the more questions I have.