RE: [VN] New Mobil1 vs. Old Mobil1 vs. Non-Synthetic?

I hate to be the one to throw water on the synthetic fire, but let's
remember that synthetic oil cannot work miracles.  I have an '85 Buick Regal
that has had 20-50 Mobil 1 synthetic in it since about 20,000 miles, up to
its current 102,000.  The oil and filter were changed every 4000 miles.  The
engine, frankly, is getting noisy.  In fact, I am a little disappointed in
how noisy it has gotten considering the expense of Mobil 1.  I am not
running a fleet, so I cannot attest to the value of using synthetic
lubricant, but I have had engines with non-synthetic oil which lasted
better.

Synthetic, no doubt, is better regarding engine deposits, and thermal
breakdown.  It's value for reducing wear in on the road conditions (ie. not
racing), however, is questionable in my mind.  In fact, I have not seen one
good fleet test with a true A/B comparison, with one set of cars running
synthetic, and the other running non-synthetic, under the same usage
conditions.  If someone has seen such a test, I would be interested in
seeing it.

Michael Adams
'89 Coupe 6-speed Z51