RE: [VN] New Mobil1 vs. Old Mobil1 vs. Non-Synthetic?

You should read this article., I should scan it and post it,  It talks about
some tests the SAE and ASTM did and their results.  Basically they found
that synthetic oils were not compatible with the compounds that newer seals
use.  This mainly applied to rear main, oil pan and valvecover  urethane
type seals.  Though benefits were found on turbo cars in that coking was not
as prominent around journles on turbo as it was with conventional oils.
They ouline the common myth that the have longer oil change intervals .
Sure the viscosiy does not break down as soon, but it still gets
contaminated by oxides, acids and contaminates( small ones that oil filter
cannot filter out) just as quickly and in the same amount as conv oil.  Also
sythetic should not be used during breakin, as rings tend not to seat as
well.  If you are running bronze liners, it seems not  to absorb into the
broze as well, resulting in valve train wear..
Mike Rolica
Meridian Magnesium Products
Strathroy, Ont
Ext. 260