Question from newbie

Ok guys,

    I have been floating around here for about a week now.  I joined this list to learn how my ECM in my 89 (MAF) Corvette works.  I have an understanding on all the sensors and their functions and how the ECM uses this data.  What I don't understand is how to change spark maps and fuel maps to fine tune my modified motor.  I plan to build a 383 soon with larger injectors and there is not tuner around the Pittsburgh area.

Questions are:

1.  Where can I learn how to change the program in my prom?

2.  I want to know how to lean the injectors at idle when in open loop.  (idles rich now)

4.  I want to learn to optimize WOT AFR.

5.  I want to learn to increase idle speed due to a larger cam.

What I don't have is an understanding if hex values, prom address and what they mean.  Is there a book I can buy that explains all of this?  Is there such a thing that I can buy that will let me change my prom program via a laptop and my ALDL connector?

Finally, if I don't have a good understanding of how all of this works, I don't want to be a burden to the list so maybe I should quit the list.  I can ask alot of questions!!

Jason