Re: Northstar DIS

before 2000 they are just pickups, 2000 are hall-effect and signal goes
straight to the ecm. I think the cam is hall-effect for all.... I'll check.
as far as the signal goes its a serries or even and odd pulses, kinds like
the buick v6. you only need one sensor, but the second increases the
resolution signal going to the pcm. 24x I believe, and an 18x it memory
serves me right. this allows for a more precise idle and fuel/ speed. they
use timing advance to help control idle speed, I been told, never looked into
this on a scan tool, but you can sometimes have a cly drop out completey and
allmost not feel it. they only describe the reluctor wheel built into the
crank, but I think with a little math one could figure it out, or find a junk
engine and degree a crank and cut the reluctor off... my first choice. I'll
copy every thing I can find, I've replacing the new hall effect sensor left
and right and at first was in the books. it should be fease able to do, I saw
a companey selling v8 dis kits, not sure how you changed the timming, but it
looked just like northstar equipment, so it can't be too bad for a bunch of
guys with nothing better to do but search for power to figure out......

-Brian