Re: Too hot 7805

Bruce -

Also check for a shorted bypass cap after the '05; these can go shorted w/o
leaking any smoke.  Start removing stuff from the board till things get
right; you *do* socket your ICs, right?  I used a 7812 before the 7805 in
my MAX232 circuit; there are some spikes to over 24v in the car wiring that
can get thru the 05 & fry the caps.  Warm = ok, logo on finger = too hot;
shouldn't need a heatsink in your app.

Barry