Re: EFI - Terminology and acronyms

Paul Blackmore wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have asked this type of question before, but can't seem to find the
> replies that were sent to me. So if anyone is kind enough to send the info
> again I'd appreciate it very much...
>
> I need to clear up some EFI terminology, forgive me if the questions don't
> make sense... (I'm a software guy, don't know much about EFI)
>
> What are the acronyms for different efi types? And what do they stand for
> and what do they mean?
> i.e. TBI, PFI

TBI (throttle body injection) has injectors built into the throttle
body.  It's the most carb-like system, doesn't require fuel rails,
air/fuel is mixed in the intake manifold, etc.

TPI (tuned port injection) means (in general) that there is one injector
per cylinder, and it is located near the intake valve, at the "bottom"
of the intake, rather than at the "top" like TBI.  Requires fuel rails
to get fuel to each injector.  Also much higher pressure, like 40psi
compared to 12 psi for TBI.

PFI means "port fuel injection" and afaik means the same as TPI.  IMO
PFI is a better name but TPI seems to be more common.

> How does BANK and SEQENTIAL (and any others if there are any) injection fit
> in with the above list?

They mostly refer to TPI systems.  If all injectors are fired at once
it's batch.  If they're fired in groups (like left side together, right
side together) then it's bank.  If each injector is fired individually,
at a different time from the others, it's sequential.

> What are the different "body types"? And what does it mean to the average
> joe blow in the street (that's me).
> i.e. F-Body, Y-Body etc

GM uses a letter to represent each "car line".  Camaros and Firebirds,
being essentially the same car, are F-body.  Vette is Y-body.  Plenty of
other letters for other models.

> Does anyone know how GM's model naming system works? (It may just be
> GM-Holden's system) Where it goes something like V=medium car, W=Large car
> etc....? And does it relate in any way to the above "body types" list?
>
> What are the different engine types? And what do the acronyms stand for?
> i.e. LT1, LS1

LT1 is vette from '92-'97, or F-body from '93-'97 (maybe these years
aren't exactly right).  LS1 is the new aluminum block V8 in current Y
and F bodies.  They're not acronyms, they're codes that the factory uses
for different options.  The general public doesn't know them for the
most part, but for enthusiasts it's much cooler to say "ZF-6" than six
speed, or Z51 than "kidney destroying suspension option"

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet@arm.com