Timing, revisited....

Bruce, Jeff et al -

First, I checked that I was not having another flashback, and I'm in my
right mind.......

Then, I checked the timing again, timing light vs. Diacom vs. MAX 232
circuit -

At idle, 20" Hg vac (stock, weenie cam), 800 RPM, 160°F coolant (no advance
there), was reading around 20° advance *at the pulley*.  Diacom said I
should have about 23.3°, but my vibration damper is off by 3° from true TDC
and it is corrected; thus the discrepancy.

So - we ARE reading numbers as the timing table would predict, not 2x these
figures (distributor RPM vs engine RPM).  40° advance would be hard to see,
pretty far counterclockwise around the pulley.

Didn't think I could make a bonehead mistake by mixing up the 2:1 ratio,
but ya never know.......

I've got a pair of 1996 heads to be installed soon, so I was interested in
what changes, other than the VE tables, might be affected.  That got me
looking @ the spark table, too.

Do these (1991) heads really burn *that* fast, that timing can be cut in
half????  Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Other speed/load (RPM/MAP) points aren't as easy to read (I don't have a
dyno...boo hoo); although, I do remember Bruce mentioning an episode about
a VW, a timing light and clinging to a bumper awhile back......

Still puzzled; can anyone shed some more light on this???

Thanks - Barry - Sy#26