Weather proofing electronics.

This a little off subject, but there is a great deal of knowledge on
electronics here so I thought I'd ask.
I'm going to install a voltage indictor on my motorcycle(1991 Honda VFR).
Radioshack has a hand held charging system checker for around $5 that uses
LEDs to indicate voltage and charge state and is about 2" by 6" in size. I'm
going to gut it for the circuitry and install weather proof LEDs on the
bottom console area between the speedo and tach. The question is, what's the
best way to take the small circuit board from the checker and make it
weather proof so it won't get ruined by the elements. I obviously won't have
it out in the open, but rain and dampness have a way of getting to things
anyway. Could it just be incased in silicone. epoxy, or something or would
that be a problem with heat from the board? What do they use on ECMs that
are mounted under the hood?

TIA,

Kevin R