Fuel Pump (was [Re: Crossfire injectors.])

"> > "The best solution for a fuel tank (and pump) would be to find a
suitable
> donor
> > from a fuel injected car. These would have baffles and an in-tank pump. I
> > jerry-rigged a baffle for my tank and will share that only if it turns
out
> to be
> > OK. Confidence in my rig is still low. "

Interesting this should come up... I came across a somewhat interesting
GM fuel pump system this weekend.

I was replacing the FP on the UnderAchieva ('92, Quad-4) to try to fix
a loss of power problem it's having (didn't fix it, but that's another
thing). Anyway, the pump had its own self-contained sump arrangement;
there was a plastic "can" around the pump with one-way valves to allow
the fuel into the can, but not back out.

It even had two sock filters, one going into the can, and another on the
pump itself. (which was a standard in-tank pump, once you got inside) The
can was spring-loaded, and on slides, such that the can was always firmly
on the bottom of the plastic baffle assembly in the tank.

Olds apparently didn't want any fuel starvation problems, and the system
looked like it probably worked pretty well. If the fuel sloshed one way
or another, there was always enough in the can to keep good pressure. The
only downside, it looked to me, would be that the pump would be restricted
somewhat in going through the one-way valves.

FWIW....

Dig
turbodig@usa.net