Re: Fuel Pump (was [Re: Crossfire injectors.])

Dig wrote:

> "> > "The best solution for a fuel tank (and pump) would be to find a
> suitable
> > donor
> > > from a fuel injected car. These would have baffles and an in-tank pump. I
> > > jerry-rigged a baffle for my tank and will share that only if it turns
> out
> > to be
> > > OK. Confidence in my rig is still low. "
> > >

> Interesting this should come up... I came across a somewhat interesting
> GM fuel pump system this weekend.
>
> I was replacing the FP on the UnderAchieva ('92, Quad-4) to try to fix
> a loss of power problem it's having (didn't fix it, but that's another
> thing). Anyway, the pump had its own self-contained sump arrangement;
> there was a plastic "can" around the pump with one-way valves to allow
> the fuel into the can, but not back out.
>
> It even had two sock filters, one going into the can, and another on the
> pump itself. (which was a standard in-tank pump, once you got inside) The
> can was spring-loaded, and on slides, such that the can was always firmly
> on the bottom of the plastic baffle assembly in the tank.
>
> Olds apparently didn't want any fuel starvation problems, and the system
> looked like it probably worked pretty well. If the fuel sloshed one way
> or another, there was always enough in the can to keep good pressure. The
> only downside, it looked to me, would be that the pump would be restricted
> somewhat in going through the one-way valves.
>
> FWIW....
WIW is about $400 at the dealer!!!  First introduced on the J car,
IIRC.  I've got some training material around here somewhere, it's
called a modular sending unit.  The really funny thing was looking up
parts for that puppy.  When you looked up a fuel pump for a 92 Cav,
you got a part number for the $400 sending unit/ pump assembly.  When
you looked up a fuel pump for a Pontiac Sunbird, you got a number for
a $100 fuel pump that got installed in the sending unit.

I've been told that fuel starvation is a leading factor in fuel pump
failures, and I've seen evidence that backs it up.  I've also replaced
_very_ few fuel pumps in vehicles with the modular sending unit.
There may be some conclusions to be drawn there....
Shannen