Re: 88 TBI issue

Thomas,

Thank you for your response!

Thomas Matthews wrote:

> 0. I'm assuming you have already hit Prog 101, and Grumpy's tuning tips...

I have hit Prog 101, will look for Grumpy's tuning tips.

> 1. Where did the ECM come from? What was originally in the truck? 4.3?
> 5.0?7.4??

Stock, truck was 5.7 before. completely stock under the hood except for the
engine & lift kit (no elect trans)

> Do you know the brodcast code from the chip, and the P/N of the netres?

No, what's an netres? I can check the code (assume # on chip?)

> 2. If the cam is fact 88 GM police 350, it is an issue, but one of fine
> tuning only IMHO...
> 4. Looks like your next purchase is a scan tool, there are the Diacom and
> EASE for laptops, and a host of standalone units such as the MPSI and Auto
> X-ray. Need to see BLM, O2, and every other sensor just to make sure the ECM
> is not getting any strange inputs.

Where can I get a Diacom or EASE?

> 5. Truck ECM's usually expect 0 degrees (not always)- what is your orig
> timing sticker say, and what is the motor set at?

    OEM on the police 350 is 6 BTDC, the truck is 0 (diconnected timing lead per
manual prior to timing). Tried from 12 BTDC to 10 ATDC & found that 6 BTDC was
the best. 0BTDC causes backfiring through the TBI.

> 6. Start looking for an EPROM- then you can burn a stock 350 chip and see if
> that's better or worse. Do you have the police 350 injectors around still?
> They can be put to good use.

The chip is stock for my truck (put 40K on the original motor since buying the
truck, then it threw a rod @ 99K)
I still have them, but was hoping I could cross the #s since there is only a 90%
probablility that they are police injectors (performance was waaay worse with
them on). They were used when I bought them.

Thank you for your help!

Eric D>