Re: rats! vats!

Why would a service tech know, they don't get to re-program, just trouble
shoot and replace.

You can run a data linkt over a radio, but it has to have beter band width
than most to pass an 8 Khz signal, most vice chanels are 3.5 Khz and it must
be full duplex since you have to request each data string.
You could re-write that section of code to delete the request data function

There is a Canadian firm that makes a data Trancever that would do the job
rather well, it sell for about $3k.

An optical link would be good also, plenty of bandwith and privite as well.

A another alternitive is to recored the data for later replay

Ward

On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 20:27:24 PST, gmecm@diy-efi.org wrote:

>  I am using 8051 alright.
>
>  I talked to several GM service techs around town and they say "oh you
can't
>  do that the VATS is programmed in and can't be changed...yadda yadda"
Hell,
>  even I know better than that.
>
>  Speaking of thinking, 8192baud is audible,(baudible?) has anybody ever
>  hooked a walkie talkie to an aldl so they can monitor the car from the
pit?
>  Two way data transfer would be a bad idea, "excuse me, but your car seems
>  be running a little too fast. Let me fix that for ya."
>
>  How 'bout a sound card interface or maybe one of those old junky modems
>  laying around. maybe pop a cassette into the car stereo and reprog. your
car
>  on the fly.
>
>  Maybe I should have another beer and shut up.
>
>  Anyway, I still need to flash the rom and kill vats, egr, air pump, and
all
>  that other useless stuff.

Ward