[ADMIN] When it rains...

Well folks, it is raining in Southern California...  and as much as we
need rain in SoCal, there are a few attendant difficulties we could just
as well do without. Chief among them: power outages.

A good part of the town the server is in (aka a couple of blocks) lost
power for about 40 minutes around noon local time today. Everything seems
to be back up and running. All is now well, services have been restored,
everything seems to be up and running.

Perhaps it is just the time for all good things to fail... but Let's hope
that whatever humorous fates have colluded to cause our yo-yo server
condition will get bored and leave us alone for at least another few
hours.

As before, the server will go down for re-kernelation at about 11:00PM PST
(GMT-8) but until then have fun (as long as the power holds out) and feel
free to talk amongst yourselves about the relative merits of flogging
vs keel-hauling vs ....

On a related subject, perhaps it would be apropos to discuss the group
acquisition of a UPS? The units that I scrounged were all defective... not
that a small UPS would have helped in this case, but as a general rule
they are a good investment.

-Jon