Re: Nother ALDL grabbing method

Yep I thought maybe there was a better package than what comes with windows.
I assumed this.

> Captured it at 44k 8bit Mono, how long?, as big as your H.D can handle.
> But take it from me, it is very difficult picking the bits out, It does
take
> a long time (took me about 40 mins to pick only 5bytes!!, eventually got
> them right to!!).

40 mins for 5 bytes?? thats what computers are for! to do that FOR you.
Picking out the bits correctly is what I want to do - thats the thing I want
to see if I can do it.

part of the fun (and point) of a DIY project is to DIY. ;-) I dont really
want to get the data in particular, I want to go thru the process of
creating something that is capable of getting it ...or try anyway till I
lose interest or fail ;p

If you look at the screen shot I made of the Program I made you'll see a
dozen or so bytes converted there - the software did that conversion, not me
by hand.  theres timing asumptions but a real captured file will be a
challenge(fun).

www.delanet.com/~tgp/software/wav2aldl.jpg

Ross if you can dig up an old capture I'll use it to test with - the real
world transition spacing is what I want to see... and see if I can get the
computer to understand it and spit it out correctly.  my short term goal is
to produce a byte stream that is correct.  One question is wether the
leading bit in each byte is MSB or LSB.  a real capture (or looking at some
web docs) will tell me. LSB is what the software does now.(you may have
noticed the screen capture with the "wrong" byte conversions! ) easy nuff to
change.

44k huh.. you know theres a place in WAV format to specify the rate - but
windoze sound-recorder limits you to a few selections - I wonder if I can
manually enter a value using a hex editor and nail a rate like (8192 x 4) or
something.

Gonna eventually grab some data myself - its casual.

thanks ross! good stuff.