Re: Desensitizing GM knock sensors

Jim Wilson wrote:

>   Hi Guys,
>
>   On my 92 LT1 383 Vette I have a CR of 9.4:1 and a Vortec Supercharger (10#
> boost). I have tried 101 76 Race gas, have changed the spark map over 4000 @
> 100KPA to as low as 20 degrees Adv. and still show a 7 degree knock retard
> spike anytime in boost (over 100KPA). What do you think about trying to
> densitize the Knock Sensors. If so what is the best way, teflon tape?
>                                  Thanks, Jim

I think the last thing I'd want to do is run my engine knowing it was
showing knock under boost.  I'd try everything under the sun to (1)
confirm knock, and (2) remove it first.  Have you verified the scan
tool readings with another knock sensor?  Turned the advance as far
down as it can possibly go?  Looked at the plugs for signs of
detonation?   Turned the boost down to see if knock disappears?
Running with the scan tool showing knock probably shouldn't be treated
the same way as driving with the "fasten seat belts" light on.
Shannen