Re: knock sensor/solid cam

Jeffrey Scott wrote:

> Has anyone used a knock sensor on a solid cam engine?  Will it have a
> lot of False knock, or is the freq. different than the filter picks
> as knock?

My '83 Ranger has a knock sensor and solid lifters.  I assume it is
working because some days the truck has more power than the little V6
ought to have.  Other days I hear a bit of partial throttle pinging, and
then the power drops for the rest of the drive.  When it is down on
power, it feels almost like it did when I had the timing accidentally
retarded 20 degrees.  The knock sensor seems to be ignoring noise from
slightly excessive valve lash on one (or more) lifters.

(The truck's timing is a bit advanced from where it should be.  I'm
having a problem with the distributor slowly advancing on its own
because of a fat O-ring.  Polished chambers and coated pistons aren't
helping here either - they probably want the base timing retarded a
degree or two.)

For laughs, anyone running Netscape Communicator: spell check "O-ring".