Re: Fuel prices / efficiency

At 03:59 PM 2/18/2000 , you wrote:

ON-Topic:  I'm building a gas guzzler just as high octane has gone from 1.22
to 1.65 in 3 weeks!  I see "economy mode" advertised on some of those 16-way
selector chips. I know there is stuff in DIY archives on efficiency but
heres my understanding, please correct / add:

-Go for 15 or even 16:1 AFR at light cruise - just don't abuse the car with
this setup and you're ok.
-160 degrees Coolant temp is still better than 180 or 200 for economy

higher temp is better for economy... Lower temp is used to fool the ECM into supplying extra fuel and make it run richer for more power (or to cover up over advanced timing!)

-higher fuel pressure (for better low load spray pattern) hurts economy at
idle unless you can tune the idle PW waay down.
-low tire pressure bad bad bad
-loose convertors bad for economy  - Lock it up earlier -?
-good excuse for installing a supercharger - payback is sooner at those gas
prices!