Re: Fuel prices / efficiency

In a message dated 2/18/00 4:02:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, dzug@delanet.com
writes:

<< -Go for 15 or even 16:1 AFR at light cruise - just don't abuse the car with
 this setup and you're ok. >>

I run 16.2:1 in hiway mode, and bump hiway mode timing 3 extra degrees, my
thought is that the lean mixtuire might raise CC temps, and the advance will
lower it again. So far no bad effects and I've have experienced 4mpg on my
car and 6 on a friends car on long drives where the car is in hi-way mode
alot. BTW, this is a GN, I dont know if it helps you or not

<<-160 degrees Coolant temp is still better than 180 or 200 for economy>>

Again, in a GN fuel is added for by coolant temps...by way of temp/load
multipliers. Dont know about your application, or even the values offhand,
but I'd haveta think a hotter engine would be more efficient.

<<-loose convertors bad for economy  - Lock it up earlier -?>>

Wont do much, except possibly increase load at lower speeds, using more fuel.

<<-good excuse for installing a supercharger - payback is sooner at those gas
prices!

Did you know the Thunderturd SC's used 60+ hp to turn the SC at WOT? Imagine
what the 220HP rating would be if it had a turbo. I haveta think a turbo is
almost free HP. Only thing you have slowing you down is backpressure. But I
think I'd take 20hp loss in backpressure over 60+ due to SC drag