Mysterious rogue connector

I've dropped the 350 TPI back in my 89 Firebird after a full rebuild.  I'm
now hooking the harness back up and have encountered a rogue two-pin
connector that breaks out of the harness at the top of the bell-housing.
The IAT (or MAT) sensor has an extension plug on it.  This renegade
connector mates perfectly to the connector the MAT sensor extension plugs
into.  Is this some kind of diagnostic connector to take the MAT out of the
loop?

The connector is about 1.5 inches long and has two plastic "barrels" with
pins in them.  One barrel is slotted.  I think the wires are basically red
and black, but I didn't see anything like that on the wiring diagram.  The
VSS and lock-up connectors ARE connected to the transmission.  I know where
every wire goes except this one, and I DO NOT remember unplugging it.
Please help.

Steve Marteney
smarteney@xlvision.com