Re: speedo-heads up disply was: speedometer-transparent first surface reflector needed

cwagner@info2000.net wrote:

> As for the reflective surface, that is the least of my concerns.
> What I am looking for is for a two or three digit electonic
> speedometer circuit/schematic that I can adapt for use as a HUD.
> If any of the electronic people out there have any thing that can
> help, I could use as much as possible.  By the way, earlier I was
> asking about a tach adapter to convert a v8 signal to a 6 cyl signal,
> etc., I have designed one if anyone wants a copy of the shematic.
> Works good.

Does it really have to be a home-brew project?
Just wondering, because the easiest thing to do would just be to get a
HUD. ;)
I know the early '88-90 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International used a
HUD that was almost entirely self-contained with the height adjustment
built into the side of the HUD.  The top of the dash was a nearly
perfectly flat surface too.  89-93 Grand Prix also had the HUD as a
separate box on top, but it was shaped to fit specifically on the
contoured dash of the Grand Prix.
Very easy to interface, simply 4000 pulses per mile from the VSS drives
the speedo.  +12V inputs from the turn signals drives the turn signal
arrows on the HUD.  There is a low fuel icon, and I think a high-beam
icon as well.  I can't remember what signals drive those, but I have it
written down someplace.
I have a HUD from a '91 Grand Prix that I play with, and by sending the
VSS input different frequencies, I even discovered the thing will go up
to 299mph.  The display can only show a max of 199, but over 200mph, it
reverts to 2-digits and all icons light up.

It is an extremely high brightness vacuum fluorescent display.  I can't
really imagine 7-segment LEDs would be visible in the day.
Well, if you're looking for quick & easy, that would be the way, but if
this is something you have to build from scratch, sorry I couldn't be of
help.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/