reprogramming MAF xfer function in '165 ECM

I'm helping a friend tune his '87 vette. He's got a 383cu. in. engine in it
with all the goodies. One of the mods is a modified stock mass air to allow
more airflow (the engine is starved for air).

I wanted to have the meter measured so I could have its transfer function to
put into the eprom. I then realized that the ECM only uses an 8 bit value to
indicate the mass air flow, and that 255d represents 255g/sec of airflow.
The meter we have now is probably capable of flowing more air than that, so
I can't program the correct transfer function into the eprom (not enough
bits).

Does anybody have any ideas as to how to set this up properly?

Thanks,
Nick