Re: 700R4 TCC Solenoid bad? (limited EFI content)

Chipsbyal@aol.com wrote:

> The problem is not likely the tcc electrical or hydraulic systems. The two
> best possibilities are the torque converter or an ignition problem. The
> torque converter will "shudder" when it first applies and then generally be
> OK. Upon locking up again, if the load is high, shudder will happen again. If
> the converter is locked up good and an increase in load causes a roughness,
> take a good look at the plug wires and other secondary components. Scoping
> the engine first will save time if possible.
> Later AL

I wasn't going to say anything, but this sort of symptom happened on my 87 3.8
when the coil pack was going bad.  During cruise, a light load increase would
cause it to buck.  Give it some gas or downshift and it seemed to run ok.  It
got worse and worse over time.  Fuel injector cleaner seemed to help a couple of
times, so I put recond injectors in.  That didn't help.  Timing light on the
plug wires showed spark.  Finally replaced the coil pack anyway and it was
fixed.  I don't know how to test a coil pack easily except to see if the
resistance is the same on all coils.

HTH
Pat