Re: Cam tuning

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Douglas Ratcliffe wrote:

> What's the best way to tune for a new cam?  I'm trying to decide
 whether to spend the money for a PROM burner or just pay someone
to do it.  I'm putting a relatively mild cam into my LT1 in a few
weeks (210/224, .518/.552 lift @1.6, 112 LS).  I have an AFPR to add
fuel across the whole board, and the O2's should take care of part
throttle fuel trim, but what should I look at changing in the
PROM tables?  Idle, fuel, spark advance?  Car in question is listed below..

> Thanks,

Idle + about 100 rpm both in and out of gear.
You will need to add fuel above about 4000 rpm or so, at WOT.
You probably never will need to mess with spark advance.
You may want to adjust the tcc lockup point, and you may want to
change the fan on/off temps.   And maybe change the min tcc lockup
speed, but you won't need to do that with that mild of a cam
(probably).

The biggest thing to watch out for is to not get too lean at WOT in
the higher rpms.

My originaly tuner I used did not know how to do and of tcc lockup
stuff, and got pretty close on the WOT fuel.  Even given is close as
he got I have still gotten .2 sec on a 1/4 out of mine.

The adding fuel is pretty easy to do, it just takes a bit of time to
get things reasonable.   If you pay someone else to do it, it will
cost at least $350-400 or so.

			Roger