Driving an HEI Module with other signals

I'm wondering if it's possible to drive an HEI (High Energy
Ignition) module with other than a reluctor pickup coil.
The HEI module I'm thinking of has three groups of connectors:

 1. (+) to battery
    (C) to Coil

 2. (G) Ground
    (B) Bypass control
    (R) Reference to ECU
    (E) EST (Timing from ECU)

 3. (P) \_ to reluctor coil
    (N) /

I'm wondering if it could be made to work with an existing
mechanical points, and an interface/translator circuit.
Or, perhaps made to work with a hall effect/optical sensor?

Thank in advance.