New member with VE table Q's

Hey guys, I'm new to this list and modifying ECM tables. My name is Joe and I have a '92 Camaro with various mods. It's been running well until recently when I put on AFR 190 heads and a 212/218 CC cam, then the off idle drivability became poor. I have a Diacom I use to capture the car's sensor readings and try to figure things out.

The MAP readings at idle went from 25-30 kpa before the swap to 50-60 kpa after it. The stock fuel map appears to give the engine too much fuel at idle now and the BLM drops to 108. When the car starts moving, the MAP and integrator values increase but the BLM stays at 108, the O2 readings get very low, and the car hesitates. The computer finally figures it out and increases the BLM to mid 120's and it drives better. What I'm interest in doing is modifying the VE table for low RPMs to lean out the mixture. I believe this would stop the BLM from dropping to 108 at idle and then produce better acceleration off idle.

The diy-efi list archives seem to be down so I can't search them to see if this issue has been covered. First of all, have others seen the MAP readings go up considerably at idle after a head/cam swap or is there something else causing this?

I've read my stock prom and a hypertech prom and I'm using winbin to modify them. The 7730v3.ecu file I'm using lists the VE tables at 0x6EE (low rpm) and 0x79A (high rpm). The data from my chips map into this range nicely, but I want to verify that this is the correct known location for these tables. One concern I have with the ecm file is that it lists 1600 RPM in both low and high tables. Is this correct and if so, why? Another concern is that I've seen another '730 ecu file that has VE tables in the same location, but laid out differently (basically RPM/kpa swapped). Is the 7730v3 table layout correct?

I believe that lowering the numbers in the VE tables tells the ecm the engine is less efficient and will reduce the amount of fuel given to the engine. I'm really only interested in the low rpm table at this point. How sensitive is the ECM to changes in the VE table? If I lower the values for RPMs below 800 with MAP readings below 70 kpa, should I lower them by 1 point, 2 points, 5 points? I know 1 point at a time would be safest, but if someone already knows that the tables don't produce a large difference then maybe I can tune them in quicker with larger steps and fewer prom burning cycles.

Joe
92 Z28
http://home.cfl.rr.com/shuhy/chevy.htm