ECM compatibility

I'm a lurker. I don't have enough time to start burning chips yet......But
after following some of the projects you guys are cooking up, I'm convinced
it's something I'm SURE to follow up w/ when I replace the LG-4 in my 87
Monte w/ a 383 or 406 this Summer.

It appears that most ECM's that are "commonly" tweaked on the list are
usually FI units. I'm planning on keeping the stock GM CCC system and Q-Jet.
I LIKE sleepers:)

Currently the LG-4 is getting a set of headers. The O2 sensor will be
retained, but the A.I.R. system will be eliminated. A forced air induction
setup is in it's first stages also...

I recently ran across a 9C1 optioned Caprice. Cop buckets, no console and
all.
I already scavenged the alum master cylinder for my car... I noticed the
motor code ( motor is gone ) LM1. Decoded that as a 4BBL equipped 350...
correct?

SO..... the ECM and PROM "should" in theory work in place of the ECM in my
87 Monte Carlo LS  #1228079..... correct?

The only difference would be the tranny's .. right? 700R4 for the B-body,
200R4 for my LS ( 'CZ' code SS tranny in there at the moment ) .

Any suggestions for a newbie to ECM's as to whether or not this would be
worth the trouble. Anybody out there ever burnt chips for the 1228079?

Any and all help and suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Chris