Re: ECM compatibility

> I'm a lurker. I don't have enough time to start burning chips yet......But
> after following some of the projects you guys are cooking up, I'm
convinced
> it's something I'm SURE to follow up w/ when I replace the LG-4 in my 87
> Monte w/ a 383 or 406 this Summer.
> It appears that most ECM's that are "commonly" tweaked on the list are
> usually FI units. I'm planning on keeping the stock GM CCC system and
Q-Jet.
> I LIKE sleepers:)

Well, the list is called Electronic Fuel Injection

> Currently the LG-4 is getting a set of headers. The O2 sensor will be
> retained, but the A.I.R. system will be eliminated. A forced air induction
> setup is in it's first stages also...

I did a bunch of testing, with that, and snorkles, and found no real
difference when things were optimized for each item.  If it works, then
there was something wrng, IMHO.
By optimizing I mean everything secondary air valve opening, secondary
needles, and hanger.

> I recently ran across a 9C1 optioned Caprice. Cop buckets, no console and
> all.
> I already scavenged the alum master cylinder for my car... I noticed the
> motor code ( motor is gone ) LM1. Decoded that as a 4BBL equipped 350...
> correct?
> SO..... the ECM and PROM "should" in theory work in place of the ECM in my
> 87 Monte Carlo LS  #1228079..... correct?

Use the 8079, and just get the prom from  a ZZ3 conversion (from GM)

> The only difference would be the tranny's .. right? 700R4 for the B-body,
> 200R4 for my LS ( 'CZ' code SS tranny in there at the moment ) .

ECM doesn't car just uses TCC on that one.

> Any suggestions for a newbie to ECM's as to whether or not this would be
> worth the trouble. Anybody out there ever burnt chips for the 1228079?

I did try all the aftermarket ones when first working on a 355 I put where a
305 was, and the GM was perfect as is.  All you really need is timing, the
Rest is carb stuff.  Get Doug Roe's, Quadra-Jet Book.

> Any and all help and suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

For all the work to get a CCC right, just go TBI, I been there done that
Grumpy