new subscriber please help ecm problem

I am new to the list. I have looked in before and i am
having trouble searching for help on a problem. I have
a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix 2.8 MPI. The car won't start
without poring gas in the throttle body.It dies as
soon as that gas is used up. I have spark but no fuel.
The fuel pump runs and puts out adequate pressure if I
energize the pump. The check engine light will not
illuminate unless I ground one side of it. I have
checked all grounds and tried a different ecm. I
belive I have power to the ecm but I'm not sure which
terminals to check. I purchased this car in this
condition just to see if I could fix it. The stereo
had been stolen and under dash wires cut. I have the
dash out now but can't find the problem. All fuses
test o.k. I don't know where to go from here. Any
suggestions? How about a web site where I can learn. I
understand the basics o.k. and want to learn it all.
Thanks to any who help.  Ed Stoll