V6 ALDL Communications

Ok, guys here's one for the books. Trying to get my sunbird to talk to my laptop. Got a new cable (thanks again Andrew) with dip switches for various resitor values across A and B. Looking at my code, I'm fairly certain that the car is looking for a 3.9 k resistor. However when I set my cable to such the car goes beserk! 3000 rpm idle. Codes 33 and 35, and still no data. The car will barely run with this resitor!

What's going on??

Jeremy