GM 4 cylinder DIS

Hi all, I am embarking on my first and hopefully not last project to use GM or otherwise electronics to improve my car, a '76 Porsche 912E. Right now, it has a standard setup with dual Weber carbs with independent runners and a centrifugal advance distributor.

I eventually would like to try fuel injection, but as a primer I'd like to focus on ignition first, as my subject suggests.

What I would like to do is use the Direct Ignition Module from a select 4 cylinder GM vehicle and use it with my engine. However, while this handles starting and firing, it does not address ignition advance. From what I have seen, the module defers ignition advance to the ECM when an RPM is reached or reference is detected. My background currently does not allow me to modify ECMs to get my desired advance curve, so what I am hoping to do is use a microcontroller to handle the advance calculations.

I have been following a few threads and notice that the equipment to modify EEPROMS is several hundred dollars, and right now I want to keep costs down to figure out if DIYEFI is my cup of tea.

I haven't visited the junkyards locally yet. Unfortunately, we don't have U-Pull-It yards, so I have to tell the fellows exactly what I want. I searched a few online parts houses and have found the Chevy Cavalier has an ignition module. Do you guys know of other models that might work? I believe the 2.0L and 2.5L four cylinder cars have the DIS system I need. If anyone has a complete setup for sale, let me know.

Do you guys think I am heading in a good direction? I realize I could just rip the ECM and use it together, but I am not prepared to handle FI and DIS now. I am still learning a lot.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I plan on visiting some yards tomorrow. Hopefully I will find a pot of gold or at least some cool new parts for my car.

Regards
Jay