Re: GM 4 cylinder DIS

Jurgen,

It is possible to use the GM HEI module with a points distributor, or
with a reluctor pickup distributor - either way you could use the
distributor's mechanical advance. With no signals from the ECM the
HEI unit will default to use the pickup signal to fire the module.
At some time in the future you could use either a GM ECM, or a design
of your own circuit to control the HEI module (and disable to mechanical
advance), or just keep it at that!

The HEI unit is designed to work with a reluctor coil input, and I'll
shortly publish some work that I'm starting to do on using standard
mechanical points with the HEI unit - this will address the coil whetting
issue that has been mentioned recently.

Another list member has used an HEI module, with a reluctor pickup, on
a Mini (both without, and with an ECU) - so there is some experience
floating around.

HTH, PG.