Re: spking of octane was Re: Bins are us

> Sounds like the old carbon build-up making points in the combustion
chamber
> problem.  I'm assuming it pings on lower octane cause the chamber temps
get
> too high (at least at those points).  No thermostat equals lots of
> continuous flow.

AND localized overheating in the cylinder head.
Assuming reasons for detonation is $$$.
Testing is what is called for.

 Any thermostat at any temp means somewhat restricted flow.

Also, increases the coolant pressure in the cylinder head which raises the
boiling temp, which is what you WANT to do.

> I'd suspect without a thermostat you can REALLY keep the chambers cool.

Which lowers the VE, and is the opposite of what you want to do.

> Have you tried a racing/problem vehicle thermostat?  I have one from
> AutoZone.  Although it's a 180deg, it has very thin veins to allow a lot
of
> water to flow.

You might be falling for buzz words.  No flame intended, but ya might try
researching things more.  And that's not by reading Car Crap, and such.
Remember those guys are generally writters and secondarily if that
mechanics.  Also, they are given free parts by advertisers to evaluate.
Ever remember reading an article where something is a piece of crap?.  Or
having them do their homework, and run a full evaluation.

Like for years they would hype some product that with a thermostat change
works so well.  Gee, guess what changing just the thermostat got the same
results, and all the chip guy did was lower the radiator fan temp apply....
Grumpy