Re: Driving an HEI Module with other signals

This information is not applicable to the computer driven modules, the older
style HEI moduled used an analog circuit to compute dwell and it ran out of
time about 5000 - 5500 RPM depending on the production run.

Advanvce and dwell are strictly controled by the ECM in the normal mode. The
module is and simple TTL coil drive in this mode, (active on the falling
edge).

The reluctor side is a zero crossing detector with TTL output. The DRP
output is active on the falling edge.

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 07:27:03 +1000, gmecm@diy-efi.org wrote:

>  I take it you're refering to a 7 pin module as fig 3 in:
>
>   ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/7PIN_SCH.GIF
>
>  Programmer wrote:
>  >
>  > 1. Just one little warning about that 7 pin module, if you run anything
>  > above stock compression and you have a knock sensor failure, it'll
>  > advance timing to the point of no return.
>
>  Is this because the module has built-in advance, and without an EST
signal
>  this built-in advance is too wild for high compression motors?
>
>  > 2. The pattern from a GM pickup will always look more sawtoothed than
an AC
>  > pattern.
>  > 3. If you're going to run anything above 5500 RPM, I'd look into
someone
>  > elses HEI module.
>
>  This is 5500 RPM with a V8? (= 7,333RPM on 6 cyl, or 11,000 on a 4
cylinder)?
>  What happens above 5,500RPM?
>  Does this also apply to the 8 pin module (fig 4 in above GIF)?
>
>  TIA, PG.

>  in the body of a message (not the subject) to majordomo@lists.diy-efi.org

Ward