Re: Novice Question

No, no.  7747 has 2 chips, called "prom" and "calpak".  No memcal.
165, 727, 749, many others have a memcal.  It's about 3", blue, has
prom and 1 or 2 smaller chips, plus (sometimes) knock sensor filter.

Calpaks are available separately from dealer.  Memcals are always
complete.
GM tries to keep the techs as far away from the electronics as
possible.
Shannen