Re: Knock sensor selection for 383 SBC

Use a 350 KS, and away ya go.
There are like 3 part numbers for the mid series of sensors (including the
V6) as I recall.  Least in the Standard Brands Ignition parts catalog.  I
think gm had a few more numbers then that, but I did try all three on my
355, and their wasn't much difference.   What I was doing was playing with
ESC Modules, and knock sensors trying to get it to trigger as close as
possible to audible knock as possible, and not speck the plugs.   Wound up
being either of the 350 sensors, and 3.8L ESC Module (think was 87 MY).
   I also, beleive that it's more a function of bore then stroke that
changes the acoustic pattern that the gm sensors sense.
  One way to test your setup, is, get your calibration about right with the
ESC malfunction flag disabled (KS disconnected), (low speed tuning), and
make sure there is no audible knock,  plug everything in and enable
malfunction flag, and see where you are, if it's triggering a lot, then it's
probably false signaling, or too sensitive.  If things seem fine, add 4
degrees in a few spots, and see if that triggers it, if not 6 but at 6 it
should be able to tickle the sensor.  Remember, start at low rpm
low-moderate load, and work from there, and test test test.
   Remember thou, the rings you save may be your own, and start wayy
conservative, and work from there.
Grumpy