Re: Turbo MAP & MAT interaction

Webmaster wrote:

> However the Manifold Air Temp (MAT) sensor output hardly changes,
> only rising by a few degrees in a few minuites, and that appears to be more
> to do with the engine warming up than anything else. There is no short
> term, MAP related temperature change.

Sounds like the MAP is not mounted in the intake manifold, but may
measure
actual intake air temp.  If it is *before* the turbo, it will not
measure
the temp gain from compression.

> So my question is, does anybody know if the MAT sensor is supposed to
> measure an 'average' MAT over a few minuites (i.e. it has a high thermal
> mass), or is it supposed to give instantaneous readings ?

It gives near instantaneous readings.  Where is it physically mounted?
Is it in the intake airstream?  Is it between the intercooler and
the throttle body, or before the turbo?

Scot Sealander