Pocket Programmer

Hello All, I am new to the list, and so far, the extent of my knowlege is just knowing how to change to different ECM's and factory and aftermarket proms.  I am just getting started in the programming stuff and so far, it is very interesting.  I just ordered one of the pocket programmers from the transtronics website.  It seemed like a good programmer for the money.  I am running a 1227747 in my S10 Blazer with a TBI 305.  I am interested in modifying my chip for best performance, however, am going to go about this very slowly, because i don't know much yet and don't want to smoke anything (engine).  One question i have is that i seem to have excessive detonation unless i run the 93 octane gas, and even with the 93 octane, i still have a little.  I am running a hypertech stage III, and realize that it advances the timing more, also, i have an open air cleaner which means that i am getting hot air off the engine.  I hope to have a good flowing breather w/ducting to the outside soon.  The chip i am running is actually for a TBI 350.  Does the ECM advance the timing more than stock under all driving conditions with the hypertech chip, or just under WOT?  Just a note, i am also running an ACCEL replacement ign. set to 0 deg. with the EST disconnected.  This is what the factory recommends for my engine.  Any thoughts?  Thanks and sorry this was so long.  Jeff