Re: manifold machining

Ok, I've done my own manifold, so with a liitle experience, I have to say
that yes you can do it with a drill press and get away with JB weld and
epoxies, but If you are spending all the time to convert your engine, you
are going to want to be proud of it.  I personally wouldn't be proud of JB
weld on my intake manifold.  Epoxies are ok,  but you still have to get a
straight hole to get the bung into, not an easy task for a drill press.
Yes, Rance is expensive for machining, I wish I had a mill, I would do it
for you for 1/2 that.  But, In his defense,  to do it right requires a lot
of measuring and double checking, and that is why he wants all that cash.
It isn't the process, it is the time involved.

If your gonna do it on the cheap, buy the pre made bungs (ACCEL, etc.) and
then have a machine shop or someone with a mill punch the manifold, and
then epoxy the bungs in yourself.  Then go buy a die grinder  ($25) and an
aluminum carbide porting bit ($30), and grind dowm the bottom of the bung
to match the intake port.  Just punching the manifold and rails (you really
need to ream the rails to achieve about a 20% crush on the o-ring) should
be done on mill and should only be $150-200.

Remember, looking good isn't the important thing, a quality job that is
done right that your proud of is, and it will probably last longer.....