Re: manifold machining

Peter Gargano is planning an AlfaSud EFI conversion:
(complete quotation below)

. . . because then I can add a fancy manifold, perhaps going through a few iterations . . .

<Beavis_And_Butthead>Fancy manifolds are cool!</Beavis_And_Butthead>

My only concern was that, as injector is close to the inlet valve, and in the head itself, that the O-ring or injector may get too hot in this position (it's a cross flow head - exhaust manifold is on other side from injector).

(Is the AlfaSud 1500 liquid cooled?)
I'd be happy to use a high-temperature O-ring right outta the catalog; they are used in Diesel engines, and in certain spots in certain automatic transmissions, and mebbe Jeep 2.5 injectors; check Diesel repair shops and bearing supply houses, if you can't find a catalog anywhere else.

Hot injectors, I'll just leave to the appropriate experts (but they do try to hold up as the factory installs them).

Any thought about machining directly into the head? (I checked clearances, even sawed an old head in half to check that there's enough metal below, nowhere near the coolant!)

Thoughts? - Always!  (Well, I _claim_ that I'ma thinking . . . )

First, _every_ head is machined, iron, aluminum/magnesium, other(?), so it can definitely be cut! You seem confident, and the plan seems reasonable, but none of us have seen it.

You've got at least one development/practice head, right? Spot-face with a larger endmill as a first step before the bores; drillbits are generally inferior to endmills for the bores, BTW (use a center drill first, if you do drill); if the bore size is odd, you can get a tool-sharpening shop to resize a generic endmill to just the right size (right, and be sure to _know_ just the right size!).

IMHO, as they say:
Oh, yeah, don't even think about trying your first one on a drill press - save that for later; no doubt somebody has done it with a hand drill!

You've heard it before:  (I read a shop book, once)
"Measure twice, cut once"
"clamp your workpiece securely"
"don't force it, let the tool do the work"

Sounds like a fun project!

Mike (_Bad_ carburettor!)