Hardware/software questions...

Hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction here.  I'm looking
to finally get some equipment to hook up to my 1988 Trans Am's computer/data
stream in order to better understand what is going on there, for tuning, and
eventually for programming.  What are the pro's and con's of the various
packages available?  There was mention of a program called "Ease" a while
back - what is that all about (cost, performance, etc.)?  How about CalCom?
I've gotten some feedback about Diacom and am just wondering about other
choices available.  Maybe this could go in (or it may already be in) a FAQ
somewheres?

Any help appreciated!
			Steve