Re: Digital Speedometer

cwagner@info2000.net wrote:

> Does anyone have anything that could help me in building a digital
> speedometer for use as a HUD?  I am not worried about the
> reflective surface right now, I am more interested in the electronics
> part of it.

Bob is right, it would be much easier to use an existing HUD, if all you
want is a speedometer.
They take 4000 pulses per mile.  The vacuum fluorescent displays in them
are the brighest you could get.
Some of them (88-94 Cutlass Supreme) are even flat on the bottom of the
housing and can be mounted to the dash in any older car.  The 89-93
Grand Prix HUD has a curved housing.  The 88-90 HUDs have integral
height adjusters so they would actually be easier to implement than the
91-94 version.  Not to mention the older ones are built better with
glass lenses instead of plastic.
The particular HUD I've been messing with can read up to 299mph!  It
will read up to 199mph normally, and in the 200 range it reverts to 2
digits with all icons lit.

--
Shawn Lin
http://www2.cybercities.com/g/gmwbodycars/